Saturday, September 30, 2006

 

Berlin loves bikes!


I’m enjoying my visit to Germany’s capital city and constantly noticing bikes. They are everywhere. As is bike parking. And it’s not like in the US, with a rack here or there. Streets are often lined with long beams intended for bikes. (I don’t know if bike theft is a big problem here, but bike locks seem to be more heavy-duty than most I see in the Bay Area.) Bike “lanes” often are carved out of sidewalks and merge onto the street when crossing. They are very well-marked and respected by motorists.

I estimate that 95 percent of cyclists do not wear helmets. Maybe this is because they are given enough room by motorists so that there aren’t accidents? (Which is fine, unless you’re clumsy.) I’ve seen lots of men in suits and women in skirts on bicycles, too.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?