Thursday, September 07, 2006

 

No, I'm really not scared

Yesterday I rode downtown for story time at the library and to drop something off at city hall. As always, I got lots of questions about the Burley in its stroller mode. "That's quite a contraption!" people say. "It attaches to the bike," I say. This is often followed by, "Aren't you scared?" And I say something about how it's so visible, being bright yellow, and having it's bright orange flag. I just don't understand why it's scarier to ride around with him in his car seat in the trailer than in his car seat in the car, going 40 mph, or 70, for that matter...

Comments:
I am used to riding in San Francisco, and have ridden 2500 miles in the last year. The genearal level of animosity (honking horns, a driver shouting "get on the sidewalk") in Redwood City was quite amazing. And no, I'm not scared either. Most collisions are not between autos and cycles (less than 20%). Of the three incidents I've had in the past year, two of three where because of pavement defects. But safer cycling and calmer streets starts with all ingredients, and the behavior of other cyclists in RC -- on sidewalks, going the wrong way, without helmets was something that can be educated and enforced away. Anyway, I'm happy for your experiment / experience, keep on trucking!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?